Friday, May 08, 2009

Becoming PM of your life using scrum !!

Some of you must be wondering what I am talking about? What is scrum ?

Little background about how I got into Scrum and got more inclined toward it ..
In my previous job we used water fall methodology for project management for the same I have gone through the Function Point training.

On my first day at current company I got introduced to "Daily Stand-up" by one of my favorite manger. Daily stand-up is part of Agile methodology. After working in agile for couple of months without much theoretical knowledge, I started comparing productivity of myself with my previous job and realized that definitely there is improvement and I am keeping track of my work in more organized way.

One day our Direct Sean who given us a training on Agile and that training was really a good turning point for me to learn more on Agile.

I will not be able to write how we use Agile in work because of "Work Ethic"..but I will try to explain it how I am trying to use it in my life.


I have considered every year as a one project. Give a meaning full name to that project e.g. My this year's project name is "Healthy and Intelligent Buddha" .. I do't know how I came up with that name.. I wanted some funny name !!!

Create a weekly iteration with 3-4 stories and every day/week visit your stories see to how much progress you have made in that. Next step is dividing each story into different task.

e.g. Below are 3 stories for of my last week iteration.
Story A - Work on Yoga balancing poses.
Story B - Increase reading.
Story C - Prepare for Wasatch Ranger Relay

Then I divided my Stories into small every day task.
e.g.
Story-A|Task 1.a - Work on getting Mayur Asana ( Yoga - Peacock pose for 2 min )
Story-B|Task 2.b - Finish E=Mc2 by David Bodanis
Story-C|Task 1.c Go for a 6 Miles of run ( AS part of Wasatch Ranger Relay)

Well long story short... I am able to get my personal goals very organized and more importantly track them properly.

I am running out of time to finish today's blog. I will be writing more on Agile/Scrum sometime next week.



I forgot to tell you guys, I have received my Scrum Master certification(CSM), but I think I have learned more about it from my Manager and Director.

ciao !!!